Many people across the country and in wales celebrate St David’s Day – the first patron saint celebration of the year. This falls every year on the 1st March.
Take a look at some of the ideas I have to involve children in celebrating St Davids Day…
Use different green and yellow crafting items and make your own daffodils. For younger children consider cutting out a template. As for older children give them some card or paper and let them cut out their own shapes to create their own daffodil.
Other Creative Ideas
- Create a castle using boxes and kitchen towel holders. glue them in place then paint it.
- Red, green and Yellow play dough – Make dragons, daffodils and leaks
- Make your own Welsh flag
We made some Welsh Dragon biscuits.
Here is how simple this was.
Gather the ingredient you’ll need:
- 225 g Soft Butter (we used Margarine)
- 110 g caster sugar
- 275 g plain flour (we added more flour to this as we mixed it up as it seemed rather sticky. Keep adding flour until it becomes a thicker dough)
- Preheat the oven 170 c / Gas 3
- Mix the butter and sugar together until it becomes fluffy.
- At this point you can add Vanilla extract (not necessary)
- Add the flour slowly mixing until it becomes a dough
- Roll out the dough and use the dragon cutter (I found doing this step on baking paper made it easy to place it onto the oven tray)
- Place in the oven and cook for 13-16 minutes (depending on the thickness of the dough)
- Carefully transfer the biscuits onto a wire rack for cooling. ( I found trying to move them broke them, so we moved them using the baking paper)
- Make up the icing 225 icing sugar 2 table spoons of warm water then add food colouring ( I added more water to this until I got a more moist texture)
Then let the children decorate them.
Other cooking ideas
- Welsh cakes
- Leek soup
- Traditional Welsh cawl – Hearty lamb and veg soup
- Dressing up – Welsh lady, Leek, Dragon, Daffodil, Red, green, yellow.
- Dancing and music
- Look at the language – Learn to count to 5 or 10
- Creating a small world farm yard
- Play hide and seek – hide a dragon throughout the house/setting and see who can find it.