Expressive arts and design involves enabling children to explore and play
with a wide range of media and materials, as well as providing opportunities
and encouragement for sharing their thoughts, ideas and feelings through a variety of activities in art, music, movement, dance, role-play, and design and
These involve 2 different aspects
- Being imaginative
- Exploring and using media and materials
There are many different ways you can do to support these
Music and Sounds
Here are some activities to do together with music
- Listen to sounds and songs
- Dance to favourite songs
- Describe the music, e.g loud and soft, fast and slow.
- Create sound by banging, shaking or tapping objects
- singing familiar songs
Here are some activities to support role play
- Read stories and act them out with the children
- Create props to support pretend play
- Create a story around toys – Animals getting stuck and need rescuing.
- Dressing up
Here are some things to consider during everyday routines
- Talk to children about the different tools and what they’re used for
- Wave good bye when you leave and enter the room
- Discuss your child’s pictures with them – try avoid asking questions.
- Give children a variety of objects with different textures
- Talk about different textures of foods and objects
Here are some activities Rainbow Robins may do to support Expressive Arts and Design, which you could try some of these at home.
- Role play – shops, office, farm, cafe
- Group games
- Dressing up
- Collect natural resources from outdoors
- Use a range of materials and resources to create own pictures
- Mark making
- Experiments with colour mixing